10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day
Valentine's day is for everyone and by that I mean the single ladies too. No we don't sulk in misery contrary to popular belief. That's a rather childish idea that needs to be squashed flat. Besides, being single means you get to eat that tub of ice cream all to yourself. Plus, no one's going to judge if you finish up that box of double pepperoni pizza. You get my drift? 

If you're like me who doesn't want to battle out the long queues on restaurants and the dreadful traffic on Valentine's day, you'll definitely love some "me" time or even a little date with your friends in the comfort of pajamas, onesies and your flat screen television. With that said, here are 10 movies for the single girl on Valentine's day. Prepare to get a little giddy and watch out for those butterflies in your stomach. Lights, camera, action!

10 Things I Hate About You | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Kat Stratford is beautiful, smart and quite abrasive to most of her fellow teens, meaning that she doesn't attract many boys. Unfortunately for her younger sister, Bianca, house rules say that she can't date until Kat has a boyfriend so strings are pulled to set the dour damsel up for a romance. In an attempt to win Bianca, a potential boyfriend desperately attempts to set Kat up with Patrick Verona. Will Kat let her guard down enough to fall for the effortlessly charming and equally rebellious Patrick?

"I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. 
I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. 
I hate your big dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind. 
I hate you so much it makes me sick, it even makes me rhyme. 
I hate the way you’re always right. I hate it when you lie. 
I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. 
I hate it when you’re not around and the fact that you didn’t call. 
But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you, not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all."

Never Been Kissed | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Josie is a 25-year-old copy editor at a newspaper in Chicago but it's her youthful looks as much as her journalistic skills that finally win her a writing assignment. She's ordered to enroll in high school posing as a teenager for a story on the state of America's youth. Trouble is, Josie was a hopeless nerd in high school (called "Josie Grossie" by her classmates). She had no idea of how to fit in with the cool kids and she's hardly gotten any better at it in the seven years since graduation.

"That thing, that moment, when you kiss someone and everything around becomes hazy and the only thing in focus is you and this person and you realize that that person is the only person that you're supposed to kiss for the rest of your life, and for one moment you get this amazing gift and you want to laugh and you want to cry because you feel so lucky that you found it and so scared that that it will go away all at the same time."

The Prince and Me | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Paige Morgan is a focused premed student who becomes intrigued by Eddie, a wealthy Danish student. Despite Eddie's initially rude behavior, Paige falls for him only to discover that his father and mother are the king and queen of Denmark and he is heir apparent to the throne. As Eddie adjusts to American life and Paige gets used to her beau being a future king, the two must decide if their romance is something that can last.

"The sun itself sees not until heaven clears. I guess it means that love blinds you. And when you're in love, you can't think reasonably."

50 First Dates | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Henry Roth is a man afraid of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy. They hit it off and Henry think he's finally found the girl of his dreams until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and forgets him the very next day. Now Henry wants to convince her, her family and friends that he's in it for love.

"l was so nervous to come here and meet the guy that makes me fall in love with him every day."

The Classic | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Shy Ji-hae's friend is having problems expressing her feelings to the boy she loves so she asks Ji-hae to write e-mails to him in her name. As the boy falls in love with her letters, Ji-hae discovers the story of her mother's romance which is remarkably similar to her own circumstances.

"Open your ears and if you hear your heartbeat, the one you love is loving you too. Close your eyes and if there's a smile on your lips, the one you love is also loving you."

When in Rome | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Disillusioned with romance, Beth, an ambitious New Yorker, travels to Rome where she plucks magic coins from a special fountain. The coins attract an assortment of odd suitors, including a sausage merchant, a street magician and an artist. But when a persistent reporter throws his hat in the ring, Beth wonders if his love is the real thing.

"You could get your heart broken or you could have the greatest love affair the world has ever known. But you're never gonna know unless you try."

The Secret | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Ye Xiang Lun is a music student majoring in piano who just transferred to Tamkang, a school famous for its musically talented students, especially those who play piano. On his first day of school, he hears a mysterious melody being played, and following it meets Lu Xiao Yu, another piano major. When he asks her about the song she was playing, she tells him that it is a secret that cannot be told. The two form a friendship that quickly evolves into a romantic relationship. However unbeknownst to Xiang Lun, there is more to Xiao Yu than initially meets the eye.

"What's the melody you played the first day we met? - That's my secret."

What's Your Number | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: Ally Darling is realizing she's a little lost in life. Her latest romance has just fizzled out, and she's just been fired from her marketing job. Then she reads an eye-opening magazine article that warns that 96 percent of women who've been with 20 or more lovers are unlikely to find a husband. Determined to turn her life around and prove the article wrong, Ally embarks on a mission to find the perfect mate from among her numerous ex-boyfriends.

"I'm happiest when I'm being myself and I'm myself when I'm with you."

Crazy Stupid Love | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day

SYNOPSIS: At forty something, straight-laced Cal Weaver is living the dream-good job, nice house, great kids and marriage to his high school sweetheart. But when Cal learns that his wife, Emily, has cheated on him and wants a divorce, his "perfect" life quickly unravels. Worse in today's single world ,Cal who hasn't dated in decades stands out as the epitome of un-smooth. Now spending his free evenings sulking alone at a local bar, the hapless Cal is taken on as wingman and protégé to handsome, thirty something player Jacob Palmer.

"I'm so mad at you. I'm really mad at you for what you did. But I'm mad at myself too. Because I should not have jumped out of that car - I should have fought for you. Because you fight for your soul mates."

You Again | 10 Movies for the Single Girl on Valentine's Day


SYNOPSIS: Successful PR pro Marni heads home for her older brother's wedding and discovers that he's marrying her high school bully and arch nemesis, who's conveniently forgotten their problematic past. Then the bride's jet-setting aunt bursts in and Marni's not-so-jet-setting mom comes face to face with her own high school rival. The claws come out and old wounds are opened. Will there still be a wedding to celebrate? (This one's obviously not a "love story" unlike the others but if you're spending the day with your BFFs then this will surely make you laugh so hard your sides would hurt.)

"Happily ever after is in fairy tales mom. High school was a horror movie. This weekend is the sequel."

If I were to pick favorites, I'd definitely go for the first five on this list. How about you? Have you seen any of these movies yet? What are you up to on Valentine's day? As for me, *cue Dan Radcliffe's Harry Potter voice* I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending that I don't exist. Just kidding!


---
Main Photo by Mc Jefferson Agloro on Unsplash
Movie synopsis via imdb.com and rottentomatoes.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...