Food for Thought: Confessions of a Photo Lover

One of the best things that happened to me on my way to Manila for the holidays was when our plane flew over the Taal Volcano. It was around 6:00 am in the morning and majority of the passengers were asleep (my mom, sister and cousin included). I felt like I was in a state of bliss as I gaped and stared at the natural wonder. I was in a deep state of awe that I forgot all about my camera, hence the lack of a photo. But hey, it made it even more special. It also made me realize that our eyes are the best lenses there are in the world. No device can ever compete with the beauty that our eyes can see. Don't get me wrong. I find photography an art and a way of living. I happen to revel in it too. But have you ever wondered how sometimes no matter how we angle our shots, they still don't appear as vivid and beautiful as the way we see them?

As a blogger and as someone who loves to record memories and capture time stand still, taking photos has been second nature as much as writing has been. However, I guess there are times when it is best to put the camera and the pen down and instead enjoy the beauty laid before you. Or at least, give yourself ample time to enjoy things before taking a snap of them. I believe the key to taking great photos is admiring the beauty first before looking through the lens. You can't tell a story as best as you could unless you've experienced it yourself. After all, cameras were fashioned after our sense of sight. This thought was also very timely because it's what I did during my whole trip and it made it far more different than those that I've taken previously. How about you? What are your thoughts regarding the matter?

Seeing the Taal Volcano in midair was such a spectacle. I could not even explain how I felt at the time. Did you know that it is one of the smallest volcanoes in the world and is situated in a lake, has a lake inside it with an even smaller island in it? I may have not been able to take photos in midair but I found these great shots by talented photographers to better illustrate to you what I meant. I'd like to thank them for allowing me to feature their shots here. You can also consult Mr. Google if you want.
Photography by Bob Ferrer of Bob Gan Ferrer Fotografia
Photography by Joe A. Barrera
PS: I think I rambled way too much today. Oops. I've got twelve to fifteen more travel posts to share regarding my recent trip to Manila so better be prepared for more of my 'ramblings'. And yes, I enjoyed the view with my own eyes first before I picked up my camera. 

21 comments:

Kaasja said...

Hello :) ! I am here first time and I think Your blog is great !
I am following You now via GFC , can You follow me back ?:)
http://kasjaa.blogspot.com/

rebecca said...

Wonderful post :) I love photography myself x


www.sheintheknow.co.uk

Sara said...

Wow, amazing pictures!

I am following you on gfc, would you like to follow me back so we can stay in touch?

http://mypetitecorner.blogspot.com

Anne said...

Thank you Kaasja!

Anne said...

Thanks Rebecca!

Anne said...

Thank you Sara! :)

helen at thelovecatsinc said...

gorgeous photos!

from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

bea castro said...

"I believe the key to taking great photos is admiring the beauty first before looking through the lens." Amazing post :) Im ready for more "rambles"


NEWEST FOLLOWER! Would love it if you could check out my blog


BCfactor.blogspot.com

Anne said...

Thank you Bea! Don't fret because I tend to ramble and write a lot. :)

Rea Alducente said...

Found you through CBC FB page! I totally agree with experiencing first before taking a photo. I would really love to visit Taal soon!

Anne said...

Thanks Rea! Who knows we might visit Taal at the same time? That would really be cool. :)

Judi Alexis Carpio ⚓ said...

Agree! I tend to lack in pictures too most of the time. I always end up seeing it with my own eyes first than thru a lense!

Love your blog!

❤, Alex // <a href="www.lexidoodledoo.com”>Tick... Tock... It's Locked.</a>

Anne said...

I'm not alone then. Thank you Judi!

SalonFurnish said...

amazing view! awesome photo's! :)


http://salonfurnish.com

Minna Bansal said...

Such true words! One of my most memorable trips was to to Jamaica and i have barely any photographic proof ( on my own camera atleast :P) of it. It really is so important to just completely lose yourself enough to forget about your camera sometimes.
You have such a lovely blog! Hugs from India,
Minna x

www.minnabansal.blogspot.in

Anne said...

Thank you so much Minna! Thoughtful comments like this always make my day. I haven't been to Jamaica or India yet but I would love to have those countries checked off in my bucket list soon. :)

Anne said...

Thanks!

Ruliena PiƱate said...

Nice thoughts... I'm with you. First, enjoy making memories then capturing memories ;) I lived a couple of years in Manila, and I LOVE this pic of me in this volcano -capturing it has allow me to get back there many times with my memory
http://ruly-vive.blogspot.com/2014/05/inspirate.html

Anne said...

Oh wow! I love that photo of you Ruliena! You are right. Make memories before capturing them. Thanks for this very thoughtful comment!

Artika said...

Wowww! I've never thought of it that way. Whenever I travel and miss an opportunity to take photographs, I'd be pretty sad. Then again, you're right. No photo can ever replace the actual thing we experience :)

http://whuddupartix.blogspot.sg/

Anne said...

Trust me I feel bad when I miss an opportunity for a good shot too but I have learned that being in the moment feels exceptional. Thank you Artika!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...