Spotlight: Oona the Creative Enthusiast

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
When life takes on a sharp route towards boredom-land, the slightest glimpse of creativity can be the very spark we need to turn monotony into excitement. I for one gravitate towards visual and literary cues. They're my fuel and I believe I'm no stranger to this feeling. It is for this reason that I've decided to resurrect Spotlight, a blog series where I introduce some of the creative folks I stalk idolize from all over the world. Today, I'm focusing the limelight on Oona Holtane, Chicago based illustrator and designer with a penchant for art, music and British humor.

So how did I come across Oona? I've got Instagram and its "explore" feature to thank for that. Her #MeetTheArtist entry was what sold her style to me. It reminded me so much of the illustrations I used to see in story books as a kid. Also, they scream Disney for some reason. Okay enough with my whatsits, time to get to know her.

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
Tell us a brief introduction about yourself and your craft.
Oona Holtane is an artist. I find my style of art is always expanding, as I cannot stick to just one medium or subject. One minute I'm using oils to paint and the next I'm learning a song on the piano.

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
What are your creative cues?
Almost anything can inspire me to create. Often seeing other people be creative, let that be through acting, writing, painting or writing music, will cause me to get motivated to create something of my own. Another thing that inspires me is seeing color in real life. Sometimes a sunset is all I need to become inspired.

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
If you can only draw one character from a film or book, who would it be?
If I could only draw one character for the rest of my life it would have to be Sherlock Holmes. There are so many different renditions of his character, and him being originally a character in a book allows me some creative input in how he could appear!
Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
How do you deal with a creative rut?
Whenever I get in a creative rut I normally switch mediums or styles. If I don't feel like drawing or painting I might play an instrument. Watching some creative media often motivates me to create something myself. I always try to force myself to do/make something everyday even if I don't have an end product.

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
What or who is your dream collaboration?
I have many dream collaborations, instead of naming them all individually, (which would take ages), I'll be a bit vague. Designing or painting for big musical artists would be incredible. Even working for Disney or Pixar would fulfill that dream.

Spotlight: Oona Holtane the Creative Enthusiast | Anne's Scribbles and Doodles
A message for artists and creatives.
If you have creative energy don't suppress it. Create something even if you don't think it's good enough because the fact you've created something is amazing in itself. 

Wise words there Oona! For more of her craft, check out her Instagram. Oh and yes she accepts commissioned work so feel free to message her and mention that I sent you. *wink* In need of more creative cues? Check out the first entry to this series about fashion illustrator Mawee Borromeo and her love affair with pastels, crazy hair and voguish fashion flair. 


© All the images in this post are owned by Oona Holtane

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...